We are at the end of the fifth century AD, thirteen centuries since the founding of Rome. The Empire has not fallen. In this alternative timeline, Rome has avoided its end by using its haruspices, sages and oracles, escaping the sequence of events which in actual history brought to its fall.
The Empire’s stability has allowed it to strengthen itself for decades and has not suffered any drastic changes, invasions and the breaking up of its territory.
Economic growth has brought greater wealth to all the population and many peoples outside its borders are considered Roman citizens, protected by the invulnerable Pax Romana (the Roman Peace).
But the Empire’s mighty and invincible legions and divinatory rituals are no longer enough to protect the Empire.
Other powers are working, hidden behind the veil of tangibility: ancient demons, dark magic, witchcraft and monsters from forgotten depths.
The Cohors Auxiliaria Arcana, is a corps of heroes chosen to protect Rome by watching over it covertly and to fight sorceries, horrors and dreadful phenomena.
You are those heroes: you are the Cohors Arcana!
It is you who will take on the role of the members of the most exclusive corps of Rome’s never-ending Empire. Members are selected among the best warriors of the Praetorian Guard, the most promising diviners, the most expert diplomats from senatorial families and the most skilled explorers of the known lands.
This company protects the Empire and acts to ensure that its power remains stable in time.
Rome’s yoke, however, is hard for many to bear. Many Celtic druids, Syrian necromancers and Egyptian priests will soon try to use their twisted arcane magic against the imperial oppressor.
As Custodes, you will have to: investigate forbidden mysteries and hidden conspiracies; defeat supernatural enemies, monsters and secret cults; defend the Pax Romana, the Senate and the Roman people from all threats, non-human and supernatural.
From Britannia, shrouded in mist, to Babylon, land of vast rivers, from Egypt‘s deserts to Italy‘s lovely shores, the adventures awaiting the Custodes are as infinite as the Empire they defend!
Then as now, this is the shortest route to adventure!
Lex Arcana’s mechanics and rules were developed 25 years ago and have been accurately revised for the new edition.
The system that has made this game famous now returns in a more consistent, elegant and simple version.
When creating the Character, each player can choose their hero’s region of origin and their class (such as Fighter, Augur or Explorer), which must be developed further before playing.
Players who wish to skip this step and begin to play immediately can choose from a wide range of prerolled characters.
The mechanics of this game include the ability to swap dice on the fly, making the game accessible to all styles of gamers.
If you haven’t played the game before, Lex Arcana will be a pleasant surprise, with simple, functional and easy to learn rules, intentionally made to set aside the manual and learn to play as you go.
If you are veteran Lex Arcana players, know that this game will stay with you at least for the next 25 years. It is the same one that you already love, but richer, more elegant and complete than ever, with the possibility of living adventures before the Cohors Arcana was established.
- Lex Arcana will be published through a Kickstarter crowd funding campaign, beginning on 18 September 2018.
- Lex Arcana is the most successful Italian roleplaying game ever.
- In Lex Arcana’s alternate history world, magic, gods and monsters from ancient myths are real.
- In this alternate history, the Cohors Arcana is the only bastion protecting the Roman Empire from the threat of barbarians and terrifying supernatural forces.
- The Heroes of Lex Arcana are the members of the Cohors Arcana and must investigate and eliminate the threats that roam inside and outside the Empire, bringing back to the scholars of Rome the knowledge of obscure magic.
- The rule set has unique mechanics and is created to be played both by new and old players.
- The game’s new edition will be revised and expanded by its original authors, four extraordinary Italian game designers, well known in all the world: Leo Colovini, Dario De Toffoli, Marco Maggi, Francesco Nepitello.
- For those who have already played the game, the new edition will contain many new aspects and further development of the setting and mechanics. For example, the introduction of the Sortes (Profecies) as a game element, the rules for hand-to-hand combat and the possibility of playing in times before the establishment of the Cohors Arcana.
Let’s arm ourselves and set forth!
Stay up to date on news, special offers and, above all, do not miss the start of the Kickstarter.